Milnes Construction conducted an industry immersion visit for Johnson College senior carpentry students. The students toured the 12,997 sq. ft. BKV jobsite in Tunkhannock, PA in mid-November. The students heard from industry professionals Earl Thomas, President of Milnes Construction, and Glenn Layaou, Director of Pre-Construction Services. Students learned about:
- Participating in client meetings, contract finalization, and development of requirements and specifications.
- Assigning resources to projects, project objectives and monitoring progress.
- Developing project plans and facilitating resolution of all issues to reach project goals.
- Managing a project budget to reach revenue, cost, and profit targets.
- Managing and communicating ongoing changes in tasks, goals, or performance.
Earl Thomas, who acted as the Project Manager on this job, discussed the phase of construction the BKV project was under and that the building was a pre-engineered stick-built structure.
Superintendent George Milnes spoke to the students about jobsite safety and what skillsets Milnes Construction looks for in a crewman/laborer new hire. He highlighted the importance of how to read a tape and use a square.
The Milnes Team is interested in hosting more industry visits in the future. Both parties felt it was a great learning experience for the students.